Dale Carnegie once said, “People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.” It’s important for employees at any company to look forward to going to work each day. As Carnegie observed, the “work hard, play hard” mentality is a work culture worth embracing. Kreischer Miller does a great job of embracing this motto, and we promote various extracurricular activities to engage employees across all levels of the firm.
In addition to my responsibilities as an administrative assistant, I also have the privilege of having the unofficial title of “Director of Fun.” These are just a few of the fun events I plan each year:
- After busy season party: A reward for all the hard work employees put forth in meeting necessary deadlines during the tax busy season.
- Annual picnic: An outdoor celebration in the summer for employees and their families.
- Children’s holiday party: A party for the kids of the firm during which we provide crafts, gifts, and a visit from Santa himself!
- New hire scavenger hunt: The interns and new hires are split up into groups and assigned fun tasks in addition to a list of interesting facts about people in the office. This gives everyone a chance to get to know each other and other team members.
Several other employees are also involved in hosting additional fun events here at Kreischer Miller. These members are part of our “Fun Committee,” and they organize a series of events referred to as “Busy Season Treats” designed to keep spirits up during the long days of busy season. Busy Season Treats encompasses the following activities:
- Distributing candy bars with quotes of appreciation/encouragement to everyone’s desk; the quotes might be “Enjoy this Kit Kat next time you get a break” or “There are a million Reese’s why you’re appreciated.”
- Setting up an ice cream sundae bar after dinner.
- Conducting a daily Bingo game as well as weekly gift card drawings.
- Providing Rita’s water ice in the office to kick off the spring season.
- Hosting a wine and cheese tasting on the final day of busy season.
Liz Bishop, Senior Tax Accountant, commented on her experience as a member of the Fun Committee. She explained, “It is fun to plan various events throughout busy season. Some of them are advertised ahead of time, but others are kept a secret. I like seeing everyone’s reaction when an email is sent out about having Rita’s in the office, or when we announce the winner of a Starbucks gift card. It’s little things like these that really break up the long days during busy season!”
While we all know compensation is a very important part of job satisfaction, we also know that enjoying our day-to-day work life is just as important, if not more so. Enthusiasm can motivate employees to be more productive, creative, and successful. Kreischer Miller does a wonderful job of encouraging us to enjoy our days while we give 100 percent to be our very best on both a professional and personal level!
Julie Camacho is an Administrative Assistant. Julie joined Kreischer Miller in 2009. In her free time she enjoys seeing any type of theater production and traveling with family - especially to tropical islands. Contact Julie at Email.
Also check out: