Specialized advice and guidance for not-for-profit organizations
Not-for-profit organizations have unique accounting, compliance, and consulting needs ranging from financial reporting and internal control reviews to compliance, tax filing, and software selection. Meeting these needs can be challenging. You need professionals who understand the complex regulatory, accounting, and tax issues involved with not-for-profit organizations as well as the day-to-day obstacles facing management and governing boards.
Kreischer Miller’s Not-For-Profit industry group has extensive knowledge and experience gained from decades of working with not-for-profit organizations of all types and sizes. Our clients include social service organizations, membership associations, long-term care facilities, educational and cultural organizations, museums, religious institutions, and foundations. We focus on providing advice and addressing our clients’ unique needs; but most importantly, we share our clients’ commitment to their mission and improving the quality of life in our community.
Specialty Services for Not-for-Profits
Assurance and Advisory Services
- Audits, reviews, and compilations
- OMB Circulars A-133 audits
- Yellowbook audits (government auditing standards)
- Employee benefit plan audits
- Governance best practices
- Board and committee training
- Benchmarking – key ratios and other operating analyses
- Accounting treatment and reporting practices associated with donor restrictions
- Deferred-giving programs – planned giving instruments
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Risk assessments and assessments of the design and operating effectiveness of internal controls
- Endowment fund accounting
- Analysis of capital structure and assistance with debt refinancing
- Functional expenses/allocation of expenses
- Establishment of overhead rates
- IT strategic planning, advisory, and support
- Executive recruitment and compensation analysis
- Preparation of Federal Form 990, 990T, and Form 5500
- Preparation of PA BCO-10 and various other state tax forms.
- Consideration of the impact of UBIT on tax status
- Tax planning to minimize UBIT
- Assistance with IRS audits
- Assistance with obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status
- Formation of taxable and non-taxable subsidiaries/joint ventures
- Excess benefit transaction studies
- Establishment of royalty agreements with related and unrelated entities
We are a member of the AICPA Governmental/Not-For-Profit Audit Quality Center, which ensures that we continue to enhance our capabilities as well as gain access to technical guidance necessary to serve the not-for-profit sector.